Psychedelics for PTSD/Trauma

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of using psychedelics for healing from PTSD or trauma? Do you want to learn how others are using these powerful substances as part of their treatment plan? If so then join the discussion here.  Our forum is open 24/7 and we welcome anyone to come here and seek support. You can also share your own stories or browse through our articles section.

If you’re just getting started, check out one of these articles:

We’re glad you’re here.

– The Psychable Team

Shea Prueger
      Participant

I actually think ibogaine and trauma should be talked about a lot more!

I have had some really positive experiences in my own work with ibogaine and also with clients. I wish there were more studies that looked at trauma.

Anyone else?

Peter Gulka
      Participant

A specific kind of trauma – religious trauma – needs to be talked about more. My personal experiences in the LDS/Mormon church have led me to healing through integrating from plant medicine experiences, and I now work with others as part of their journeys.

Religious trauma is characterized by many things, but one of the most noteworthy is a lack of an internal voice, or authority. A lack of intuition. After a lifetime of a religious structure filling that role, and being actively taught not to listen to my own intuition, it is very difficult to find it, hear it, and trust it.

Difficult – but not impossible, and how rewarding that process is!

Cub Lea
      Participant

I agree with Peter Gulka, and I feel a screed coming on.

First I would like to add to his excellent post that experiences with self-actualization and success-oriented movements, and non-religious “new age” organizations can exert the same sort of control/attraction dynamics and produce the same injuries when misapplied;

I would also include twelve-step programs in this group. I believe we are rapidly approaching a moment when twelve-stepping will need to be reassessed as a preparatory support for those unable to aquire actual corrective care for compulsivity disorders, a task for which twelve-step programs are admirably suited.

I’ve studied addiction now for over 40 years, and for 30 of those years I have been convinced that not only is corrective treatment possible for addiction/compulsivity, but that it is being successfully applied at this very moment, and has been for at least the last 35 years in some pockets of the trauma treatment world. Addiction itself needs to be reassessed as a condition arising from adaptive neurological responses to unaddressed trauma.

I do not say these things lightly, nor do I wish to raise false hope. We’re at the point today where insulin treatment was in its early years. We can’t yet restore everyone’s wiring, and corrective treatment is typically draining for its facilitators; most of those who’ve performed this treatment last only a few years as providers/facilitators. We read of the successes; we don’t hear much from those who’ve found only temporary or marginal relief from treatment experiences that were not optimally suited to their needs. That’s a shame, since it can lead to false hope and potentially to treatment side effects which seem to outweigh the benefits.

When the door finally blows open on this brighter future, it will be years (let’s pray it’s not decades)- for corrective care to be affordable and accessible for all of us. And when it finally comes, it will likely take the form of technological advances which allow us to identify, isolate and activate the faulty nerve junctions responsible for the disea – pardon me, the condition – in more precise ways than ibogaine and psychedelics are currently capable of.

It can even be done drug-free today by capable and self-aware individuals who can apply guided regression therapy to those clients who are amenable to this method. (Wish I’d been one of them!) I believe that our grandchildren will live to see addiction treated as casually and successfully as a broken leg.

As with any medical advance, corrective care won’t be effective for everyone. As with all disorders, there will always be a certain percentage whom we simply can’t cure, and a certain percentage that fail due to insufficient or faulty convalescent care, but the percentage of those whom we can cure will continue to rise as the technology becomes more precise and adaptable. For now, most of us have few choices, and the options described here on psychable can point you to a few of them.

I just thank my gods, graces and lucky stars that I lived to see true hope for those who have previously only had the goal of living functionally with their condition. I first glimpsed this future 32 years ago, and as the treatment establishment has slowly inched toward that future, I’ve seen at least some of it come to pass, even if the early opportunities for treatment didn’t fit my needs.

But perhaps now is the time for me to become a part of that future…time to untangle some old wiring and put right the wiring that should have been working all along. My path appears to lead to ibogaine rather than psychedelics, and I finally have real hope that there is something out there for a case as tough as mine. Onward and…uh…inward!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.